WHERE to Apply for a Bus Pass

for Older Persons and Disabled Bus Passes, Freedom Passes, Metro Passes, NOW Cards, issued as part of the “English National Concession Ticket Scheme” (ENCTS)or similar schemes operating in Scotland, Wales & N Ireland

NB In England, County or City Councils are running Concessionary Fare/Bus Pass Schemes.

Scroll down to fund links to local authority bus pass/freedom pass pages with information on how/where to apply, and application forms to download.

New ! Bus Pass design Mugs.
Ideal gifts for the avid bus pass user. Price £5.99 including post & packing to UK addresses.

Buis Pass Mug 'A'
Click on image for larger view
Bus Pass Mug Design A[/caption]

£5.99 including post & packing to UK addresses.

For more mug choices

New ! Postcode Lookup – England

Click on the link below, then enter your postcode to find information and your local office for bus passes:
Older Person’s Bus Pass – England | Disabled Bus Pass Post code lookup
Please let us know if you don’t find the right webpage for your area, or if you wish to make a comment/query please use the comment box at the bottom of this page.

Home | Link To Us | Search

Ireland (3)
Where to apply - N Ireland & Republic of Ireland 3/14
Isle of Man, Jersey, & Guernsey (3)
Bus & Rail Pass info for pensioners and the disabled Rev 3/14
Middle England (24)
Including East & West Midlands, Derbyshire, Herefordshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Suffolk, Worcestershire rev 8/14
North East England (13)
including Cleveland, Co Durham, Tyneside, Northumberland 8/14
North West England (22)
Including Cheshire, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cumbria, Greater Manchester. r 3/14
Scotland (2)
Local Authority contacts 3/14
South East England (31)
Including Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Kent, Sussex, Surrey, London rev 3/14
South West England (19)
Including Bristol, Bath, Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Somerset, Cornwall rev 3/14
Wales (20)
Links to all districts Rev 7/14
Yorkshire (13)
All local authority areas in Yorkshire r 7/14

Your name
E Mail:
Your Comments: please mention your City or County

131 thoughts on “WHERE to Apply for a Bus Pass

  1. realestate investing

    Oh my goodness! Impressive article dude! Thank you, However I am going through difficulties with
    your RSS. I don’t understand why I cannot subscribe to it.

    Is there anyboody having identical RSS problems?

    Anybody who knows the answer will you kndly respond?

  2. Geoff B

    I would like to bring to your attention an anomaly in the rules regarding concessionary travel in South Yorkshire.

    An extract from the Transport Committee website at the bottom of this correspondence describes the new rules for both elderly and disabled groups. These two groups are treated separately and the anomaly occurs when a disabled person reaches 65. Once this age is reached the disabled pass and allied concessions are replaced by the rules applicable to elderly persons

    Unfortunately the rules for elderly people are less favourable than those for the disabled group. Without doubt this discriminates against disabled people once they reach the age of 65…..

    Website extract:

    “Update -19 May 2014: Enhanced concessionary travel approved

    The new Sheffield City Region Combined Authority Transport Committee has approved enhanced concessionary travel arrangements for disabled and elderly people in South Yorkshire from Sunday 8 June.

    At the inaugural meeting of the Sheffield City Region Combined Authority Transport Committee on Monday 19 May members approved plans that will improve the South Yorkshire concessionary travel scheme with effect from Sunday 8 June.

    People who are entitled to an older persons concessionary pass will be able to additionally travel on trains within South Yorkshire for a half fare (single or day return journeys) between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday and at any time at weekends and on Bank Holidays. Currently they are not entitled to concessionary travel on trains at any time.

    The arrangements for older people on buses and trams will remain unchanged meaning travel will remain free between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and Bank Holidays. Pass holders can continue to travel free on buses across England, between the same hours.

    Within South Yorkshire, disabled persons, will be able to travel free at all times on bus and tram, and by train. Additionally they can travel free from a South Yorkshire train station into West Yorkshire on Northern Rail services. When a disabled persons pass permits they can travel similarly with their carer.”

    I cannot understand why disabled people of pension age should be treated differently to younger disabled people.

  3. www.google.com

    With havin so much content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright violation? My
    website has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it
    is popping it up all over the internet without my permission. Do you know any ways
    to help stop content from being stolen? I’d definitely appreciate

  4. admin Post author

    The Manchester Disabled Bus Pass webpage says:

    “National travel pass
    The Concessionary Bus Travel Act states that disabled people in England who are eligible will get free off-peak travel on all local buses anywhere in England from April 2008.”

  5. Scott Hardcastle

    Hi there,

    Is it possible to apply for one disabled bus pass which allows you to travel all across England? Or do you only qualifiy for the area which you live in?

    For example, would it be possible for someone who lives in Manchester to travel to Birmingham with a Disabled bus pass?

    Thank you, Scott

  6. JH

    Margaret, I’m afraid the reason you are ineligible is your Billing Authority is Epsom & Ewell, a District of Surrey County Council (the Travel Concession Authority). Worcester Park is on the border of the London Borough of Sutton and the E&E District of Surrey.

    You are ineligible for the Freedom Pass as you’re not a resident within the London Boroughs… …Your friend in West Drayton, London Borough of Hillingdon, is.

    I suggest:
    1) You move in with your friend at Hillingdon [or any London Borough], whereby you can apply for a Freedom Pass as you’ll be eligible, a bank statement with your new address will suffice, and passport (I assume you’re meaning the OAP pass)

    2) You move to the portion of Worcester Park within LB Sutton

    I know many bemused Dartford-ians who are merely eligible for the Kent County Council ENCTS pass 0930-2300 timings, as they’re not over-the-border in Crayford (LB Bexley) I was most put-out when I was in Dartford myself, as that’s all I got, then I moved to Bexley… …I was originally in Greenwich, and then realised what a mistake it was to live in the shires. Whilst Kent & Sussex are nicer places than Slade Green and Plumstead, in the latter two, the ill and elderly get better deals!

    One of the reasons I’m now in a London Borough is for the superior travel offer for the disabled, and better health-care (being NHS London) and can be sent to King’s College Hospital, Guy’s, etc, rather than provincial hospitals such as Death Valley.

  7. admin Post author

    Residents of Wolverhampton are eligible for a pass marked ‘Centro’ where travel by bus or train is covered by the bus pass. But you appear to live outside the borough, which I guess is why your bus pass is issued by South Staffordshire – where there is no entitlement to rail travel with a bus pass. Not what you wanted to hear I am sure, but that’s the situation.

  8. Karen montana

    We live wv6. south staffs. My disabled daughter has a bus pass supplied by staffs county council but she travels regularly on metro and train but cannot use this pass.
    how can she get this pass for the metro or train?

  9. admin Post author

    when applying fr a bus pass proof of permanent residence is asked for – so the answer to your question sounds like no.

  10. Fred

    The Gold Card system is a great idea for seniors who can travel in the offpeak times.
    We spend extended periods of time in different parts of Derbyshire visiting areas where my wife’s family originated since we are now retired. We have Canadian passports and stay in holiday lets. Do we qualify?

  11. admin Post author

    An interesting question. The first thing to say is that each County Council decides what ‘extras’ if any it will allow bus passes which they issue to be used for. That is over and above the English National Scheme as follows:

    “Your pass will enable you to travel free on local buses
    in all parts of England, between 9.30am and 11.00pm
    Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and bank

    I say English National Scheme as your entitlement is on an English bus pass.

    I have looked at the Shopshire webpage, and Shropshire do not mention any ‘extras’ above the English National Scheme, and this is why your bus pass isn’t used for a journey starting in Wales. See


    By contrast, in Cheshire, their website http://www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=5310 says:

    “These same concessions apply to bus services going into Wales providing the journey starts or ends in Cheshire boundary.”

    (There is the additional question though – if you were catching a bus from say Wrexham to Ruthin and return, would your bus pass be accepted other than with a Cheshire Bus Pass – I mention this as you say you are using a bus pass issued in Yorkshire.)

    You ask why the rules should be different in Wales, or other areas, and I think the answer is that ‘extras’ have to be paid for from the Local Council funds, so they decide what ‘extras’ are available. (e.g In some areas there is free or discounted rail fares)

  12. admin Post author

    National Bus Pass travel between England and Wales

    I have a National Pensioner’s Bus Pass issued by the East Riding of Yorkshire Council, and until recently have used it without question for journeys on a local bus service between Shrewsbury in Shropshire and Four Crosses in Powys, Wales – and back. I understood that this was allowable because my journey started and/or finished in England. Last week – and for the first time since the scheme began in 2008 – I was told by the driver on the return journey from Four Crosses to Shrewsbury that I was not entitled to use the pass. Subsequent enquiries to Shropshire County Council revealed that I am permitted to use the pass on the outward journey from Shrewsbury into Wales, but not on the return journey. This seems bizarre – and a little unfair since holders of the Welsh concessionary bus pass are entitled to use their passes for journeys both to AND from England – presumably with the agreement of the relevant English authorities. Why should not Wales reciprocate? I address this enquiry to you because it was in Wales that my right to use the pass was challenged, and I have been unable to discover who is ultimately responsible for the rules governing concessionary travel between England and Wales: Wales or England nationally, or the local county councils concerned? I would be grateful if you could enlighten me on this point – and also as to why, if I have been using my English pass illegally, it has taken five years for anyone to challenge me!

  13. site

    Hello there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if
    that would be okay. I’m definitely enjoying your blog and look
    forward to new posts.

  14. admin Post author

    Disabled bus passes are normally free, and cover the full cost of journeys on local buses.
    The criteria for disabled bus passes may differ between local councils, the best way to answer your question would be to go to this webpage http://www.blog.freebustravel.co.uk/where-to-apply/ and look for your local council, and you should find further information of help to you there.

  15. Katherine Longthorp

    How much does the disabled bus pass cost?
    How long is it valid for?
    Is it a pass or a concession? If concession how much off do you get?

    and how does having a learning disability entitle you to a disabled bus pass???

  16. Mark Jones

    Dear Sir/Madam,

    My Mum had a free bus pass/travel pass for the county of Somerset, but it expired before she came back to Ireland in 2006. She is going back to Yeovil to live again at the end of August this year.

    Therefore, I am asking how she can renew her pass? Where should she go to do that? How long would it take, etc? Also, does it just cover the county of Somerset for bus travel? Or does it mean she can travel by Rail in the whole of the UK? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Mark Jones

  17. Neil Matheson

    Dear Sirs,
    I am a 78 year old Pensioner. I live at Buckinghamshire.
    I have a computer but no printer so I am unable to download the Forms.
    May I ask you to kindly post the required Pensioners Bus Pass Forms to me?
    You help would be very much appreciated.
    Kind regards,

  18. jacky james

    hi I have just turned 60 and living off a widow pension im not entitled to any other benefit but was wandering if I could apply for a bus pass as going to town is costing quite a lot out of my pension I need to go to town for my shopping

  19. maryannebarry

    i would like to apply for a bus pass i live in bognor regis west sussex. i recieve esa. i suffer with a number of illnesses, nameing a few, depression, copd,i suffer blackouts (under st richards) im now having tests to see what treatment i can recieve if any, forpreipheral vasculardisease. i am finding it very hard to go out,as i cant walk very well. i have breathing problems, now my legs are very painfull when walking even short distances, im at the stage now that i cant hardly ever go out, which is making my depression even worse. i dont know what to do, where to go or what i can do about claiming a bus pass. if there is any help or advise you can give me i would be gratefull. thank you miss mb

  20. admin Post author

    The Jersey website on bus passes says:
    Can United Kingdom concessionary travel passes be used in Jersey?

    No. As there is no reciprocal agreement between the United Kingdom and Jersey, UK concessionary passes are not valid for travel on Jersey bus services.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>