WHERE to apply for a bus pass

Answers to ‘where can I get a bus pass ?’ or ‘where do I go to apply for a bus pass?’ can be found on this page.
In England and Wales bus passes are generally issued by county councils, so look for your local county council in the list below and click on the link. In Scotland or Northern Ireland there is one place to apply for a bus pass, just click on the link below to get to the correct page.

In England you’ll be applying under the English National Concessionary Travel Scheme which gives older people free travel by bus anywhere in England during ‘off-peak’ times – between 9.30am and 11.00pm Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and on public holidays.The age of eligibility for concessionary travel is :

  • For women = pensionable age
  • For men = pensionable age of a woman born on the same day

An eligible disabled person is someone who:

  1. Is blind or partially sighted
  2. Is profoundly or severely deaf
  3. Is without speech
  4. Has a disability, or has suffered an injury, which has a substantial and longterm adverse effect on his or her ability to walk
  5. Does not have arms or has long-term loss of the use of both arms
  6. Has a learning disability, that is, a state of arrested or incomplete development
    of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  7. Would, if he or she applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, have his/her application refused pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.The times of travel are not identical in every county – some also provide ‘Companion’ passes, some don’t restrict travel to the times mentioned above.

You’ll be able to check out your local conditions from the bus pass office linked below.

There are also a number of concessionary travel schemes in certain areas of England which extra benefits (the main one being available from age 60) additional to the ENCTS scheme, e.g.
London and Merseyside residents can apply for a pass at age 60 which is valid for travel only within London or Merseyside and also allows travel on rail services.
Children are able to travel free in some areas, details can be found on your click here for local bus pass office page.

In Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland similar but separate bus pass schemes are run.

Where to apply

For most of England and Wales bus passes are issued at County Council level, but for many larger towns the local council deals with concessionary bus pass applications.

Protecting Scotland’s resources:

Bus Pass – The links below are to help find where can I apply, renew or check eligibility for bus passes for older persons and disabled people. Select your local bus pass office below (Wales & Scotland) or right (England):
Link not working?- please let us know.



Northern Ireland